link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Wednesday 7 May 2014

299: A wild goose chase

A wild goose chase means an impossible pursuit of something unattainable. This is what happened to me this morning when I left my flat at 8.30 to visit my local academic bookshop to buy some student text books. I got there around 9 a.m. to discover it opened at 10.00. There was no time to hang around as I had to be in a "classroom" at the other end of town by 11.00.
What I did see though, as I walked round to Tverskaya metro, was some military hardware lined up ready for the rehearsal for Saturday's big Victory day parade. What an enormous inconvenience it must be for car drivers in Moscow. Still, I'm sure they endure it stoically as it enables Russia to showcase its military might to the world.


My newest, and most athletic, student, recently pointed me in the direction of an app called endomondo, which I have now downloaded to my mobile. It uses the GPS link in my smartphone to keep track of distance travelled so is able to record both my daily walks to and from classes and my, less frequent, training runs. In fact it caters for a wide variety of different sports. It automatically uploads speed, distance and time, and plots them as statistics and as a map of journies covered to endomondo.com where I can log on at any time and view my progress towards my desired state of (semi-) fitness.

Isn't technology wonderful?

Continuing with a sporting theme; on 6th May 1954 Roger Bannister became the first man to run a 4-minute mile. Unfortunately, Roger recently announced the onset of Parkinson's disease. I hope he can remain comfortable and pain-free for as long as possible.

My video clip is a trailer of the movie "Chariots of Fire" - it is so motivational for runners. You hear the music over and over again on the London marathon course and it really does inspire one to keep pushing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment