link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Sunday 21 April 2013

231:Another recce (рекогносцировка)

Yesterday was the 2nd, and final, recce for the forthcoming visit of my friends Alisdair & Cecilia. They will be here for just a few days during the May holidays (майские праздники). I already have a rough and ready itinerary but I wanted to find some restaurants near where their hotel is, near Rizhkiy Vokzal.
I tried restaurant Lucien 
but found it way too pricey. Enjoyed my lunch though!
I finally decided on a Georgian restaurant:mimino  

and a Tibetan restaurant (to remind them of their visit to Nepal). Click here for a virtual tour around the restaurant.
http://lookoncity.ru/CommonFolder/Tours/obj_1682/index.html
Having booked tables for the two nights in question I continued with my weekend. 
I went to a photo exhibition in the Vauxhall Centre, part of the Riga Station building although you wouldn't guess it asking at the information bureau in the station. The exhibition was all about the role of women in building the BAM (The Baikal Amur Mainline), a strategic alternative rail route in Russia's far East. Life was extremely tough, for men as well as women.



I went home via the Ashan City at Marina Roshcha and managed to avoid the temptation of the Rothmans cigarettes promotional stand. Love the telephone box to prove it's British! "Smoking Kills" can be seen in three places.


Then home to watch Russell Crowe in Robin Hood. I'll bet you didn't know he spoke fluent Russian! 
Finally, this picture was taken almost at the end of my run this morning. I can't work out whether I'm holding up the tree or it is supporting me.

Don't let anybody say I don't lead an exciting life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment