link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Saturday 10 November 2012

203:On the Carpet*

For anybody following my blog regularly you will have noticed that recently I had a whinge* about cardboard being laid just inside the entrance to "my" stairwell to catch the dirt and slush as it comes in from outside. Well, perhaps somebody in authority is reading the blog because look:
I paid a return visit to the planetarium today. Much as I enjoyed the 40 minute screening, I'm afraid I nodded off once or twice. They've got comfortable chairs that tilt back and let you look at whichever night sky is being projected onto the dome. 
It must have taken almost as long to collect coats after the show. When they take your coat they give you a number and when you collect it and hand that number back in they have to rotate the whole system until your particular number heaves into view. So you spend half your time there watching your coat going round and round. There must be a better way!












I took the last photo because I was amused by the contrast between the grandiose and imposing "Stalin's Wedding Cake" building (also known as Stalin's Seven Sisters) in the background and modern Moscow in the foreground with Burger King, Subway,a Sport Bar etc. The large electronic billboard is advertising EF (English First) with a discount of 25%. I suspect I am still significantly cheaper, perhaps mostly because I don't have the overheads they do.
After the planetarium I went to chilis - and not just because it was -1 in Moscow today. The American chain opened its first restaurant in Moscow in February last year. Had a nice meal but not cheap by any means.
http://www.chilis.ru/en/news/opening


*on the carpet

informal being severely reprimanded by someone in authority:
(not me, at least not this time)
To whinge = British English informal. To complain.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/whinge?q=whinge

No comments:

Post a Comment