link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Sunday 21 October 2012

197:A sight for sore eyes

This idiom means you are pleased to see someone that perhaps you haven't seen for a long time. It can even be applied to inanimate objects - for example a favourite meal you haven't enjoyed for a while.
Here, though, I have chosen to use it to preface this photo I took the other day of a contact lens machine where you can buy daily contact lenses. It stocks a range of prescriptions so, provided you know yours, pay your £20 a day (!) and stick 'em in your peepers*. What a throw-away Society we live in.

Today there is also a link to Alex Jude's website where Vanessa Smith has written a very interesting article about the British, and Russian, class systems. I commend it to you. The clip at the bottom is as funny now as when I first saw it in the '60s.
Social Class

*peepers = eyes (colloquial)

No comments:

Post a Comment