link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Sunday 9 September 2012

187:Miscalling the Russians

It seems I have been miscalling my Russian hosts and I hereby apologize.
Way back in June I published a picture of a playground where a palette was serving as a piece of playground equipment. 
I walked past the playground again yesterday (Don't worry - I don't make a habit of it!) and found a transformation.
On the BBC History on this day site http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/on_this_day/?date=09_08 yesterday I read that 8th September 1855 "British and French troops capture Sevastopol from the Russians, effectively ending the Crimean War." I don't know what surprised me more: the British siding with the French or us defeating the Russians. We haven't defeated the Russians for simply ages - well not since the Olympics anyway when Russia came 4th to Great Britain's 3rd. Looking at the medal table for the Paralympics this morning it appears that Russia now has 2nd place with Great Britain in 3rd. Congratulations.
This is only a tongue-in-cheek paragraph of course. Britain and France have been the best of pals since the signing of L'entente cordiale in 1904 and Russia joining as part of the triple entente in 1907. 
The shifting sands of history!



No comments:

Post a Comment