link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Wednesday 22 August 2012

181:Just walking in the rain

Summer is drawing to a close. I seem to have missed most of it this year and been in Russia when it was hot in UK and in UK when it was hot in Russia. Never mind, such is life. (такова жизнь). I'm looking forward to a few days of Indian Summer (бабье лето).
Mostly people read the weather forecast and take an umbrella with them when necessary. But it is still possible to get caught out. What to do when caught in the rain without an umbrella? I've seen women holding their handbag over their head, I've seen people holding a plastic carrier bag over their head. But this one "takes the biscuit". An ingenious (?) man had fashioned a paper hat for himself and was wearing it. All very well until it gets wet! And, of course, it gets wet quite quickly in the rain. 
I'm always intrigued by the appearance of English-based words into the Russian vocabulary. There seems to be more and more words every day. I was amused to see the word "snacks" on the side of a Russian delivery van.
To finish off, here is a song from the 1950s from a gentleman called Johnnie Ray - "Just walking in the rain".


No comments:

Post a Comment