link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Tuesday 3 April 2012

135:Back to the grindstone*

It is always always strange returning to Moscow. Russian laws, rules, appearance and behaviour are so different to UK that often it feels as if I have landed on another planet.
Having said that, it was a very pleasant, and talkative, young lady border guard who checked my passport yesterday. And I am always impressed in the Moscow metro when young people give up their seats more readily than our youth in UK. When they offer me a seat, which they do quite often, I feel a mix of disappointment (that I must look older from the outside than I feel on the inside!) and gratitude. 
And as for the weather! We've had snow today and there is a strong Westerly wind. In English there is a very old proverb which says "ne'er cast a clout till May is out"! but it will be nice to feel some warm sunny weather here in Moscow.    


*

 keep one's nose to the grindstone


 work hard and continuously.

ne'er cast a clout till May be out


proverb do not discard your winter clothes until the end of May.

1 comment:

  1. That's the first time I have heard of that proverb. It is very useful. I will be heading back to the UK mid-April for a week to see family and friends. I can also agree it is strange being in the UK. I have noticed many things that start to get me annoyed whenever I return to the UK.

    Eating out is an expensive affair and the quality of the food is not great. In Romania (and the same was in Korea), it is relatively cheap and one can enjoy a good beer and some really good food for less than £10. Back in old Blighty, it would cost you an arm and a leg. I went to an Italian restaurant in Glasgow and on the menu they proclaimed to use fresh Italian ingredients. When my food was served, the sauce was watery and the pasta was the cheap stuff you get from Tesco. In Romania, the Italian food is great and the Calsone is marvellous and is probably half the price than the UK.

    ReplyDelete