link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Thursday 22 March 2012

126:A blog in 15 minutes or less?

Can I write a blog in 15 minutes or less? Probably, provided I use lots of links to other peoples work!
1.  I thought this morning I would draw your attention to the work of the Russian  photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii who did much of his work at the beginning of the last century. Here is a link to a BBC collage of 12 of his photographs showing Russia at that time (pre-revolution). 
Russian Empire in colour photos
2.  Can you believe that learning a foreign language is not compulsory in English and Welsh secondary schools beyond the age of 14. How short-sighted is that? I think many British people still think that if you go abroad and talk loudly and slowly then people will understand you! Sadly (?) the days of glorious (?) Empire are long gone. But, there is hope for the future. "All children should learn a foreign language at primary and secondary school, a House of Lords committee has said." Of course, the House of Lords is not the House of Commons but at least people are talking about it. 
All children should learn a foreign language
3.  In England we drink too much. A new report shows that deaths from liver disease have risen by 25% in less than 10 years. And yet "binge" drinking* is not a new concept, I remember being very good at it myself in my younger days. Perhaps they just do more of it these days.
The demon drink
My 15 minutes are up. Have a nice day.


binge drinking

 
Pronunciation:/bɪn(d)ʒ ˈdrɪnkɪŋ/

noun

[mass noun]
  • the consumption of an excessive amount of alcohol in a short period of time:teenagers as young as 16 admit to binge drinking

Derivatives

binge-drink

verb

binge drinker

noun
 

No comments:

Post a Comment