link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Thursday 15 March 2012

121:Winter's last gasp & the Moscow monorail system

Winter! Every time you think it's gone away it comes back and bites you. We had been having milder weather but today was a salutary reminder that Nature is the Boss. During the day it was -8 with a really biting North wind. Now, this evening, the temperature has risen to around 0 and tomorrow sunshine is promised (with a temperature of -4). I am quite envious when I see +15 or 16 in parts of UK.
I think people in Moscow will be ready for Spring when it finally arrives. I know I will. Of course those people lucky enough to live in Siberia will need to wait a little while longer. 
Took this picture a week or so ago as I was walking past Moscow's monorail system. It spans only a fairly short distance, almost 3 miles, and has 6 stops running from Timiryazevskaya in the North of Moscow to Sergei Eisenstein street in the North East. It costs the same as an ordinary tube ticket (about 50 pence regardless of how far you want to travel) and proceeds at a fairly sedate pace along its magnetic rail track.
These Moscow monorail pictures are a lot better than mine (my talents lie in other directions!).
I use the monorail system sometimes, when I want to visit The "All Russia Exhibition Centre (ВВЦ)" previously known as VDNKh (ВДНХ). I go there occasionally to have some fun karting. There is an outdoor track and, just opened last year, an indoor track.



No comments:

Post a Comment