link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Monday 6 February 2012

88:I'm a mole in the SIS!!

What a confession this morning! I am a mole in the SIS and have been for almost a year! 
All is not what you think (because if I really were a mole in the Special Intelligence Service, which I'm not, then this would not be an appropriate platform to "come out").
I sometimes refer to myself as a mole (крот) because I spend so much time on the underground system here in Moscow. I have also visited the once-secret underground nuclear bunker at Taganskaya but that's another story for another day. 
And SIS? A society I have just formed called "Schoolteachers in their Sixties"!


The metro system, as I've mentioned before, is fast and efficient. Which is nice because I often spend a couple of hours a day whizzing from place to place. At the front end of every platform there are two electronic indicators: one of which tells the time of day and the other the time since the last train passed under it. During the rush hour(s) this second indicator often shows times of less than a minute. In fact you can often see a train pulling out of one end of the platform as another one is pulling in at the other. 
The other photo today shows that many of the underpasses that pass under (!) the city are thriving trading areas. You can buy almost anything - except alcohol - from these tiny little booths. In none of them is there room to swing a cat and if I ever had to work in one for any longer than 5 minutes I would lose what little sanity I've got left.






No comments:

Post a Comment