link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Saturday 14 January 2012

66:Desmond has a barrow in the marketplace

A line from the Paul McCartney song "obla-di, obla-da". I want to state categorically that I don't have, and never have had, a barrow in the marketplace. In fact, I don't understand markets at all. Row after row of shops, or stalls, all selling more or less the same thing for more or less the same price. How does it work? How come they don't go out of business? How can stallholders have the patience to stand there all day and every day for the sake of a few roubles? 
For me, one of life's great mysteries. If somebody could explain the "market economy" I'd be grateful.....
Today's photos are of Timiryazevskaya market, which must be a quarter of a mile long and contains three different types of goods; the food market, the clothes market and the market that sells everything else - including lots of kitchen sinks.




3 comments:

  1. What do you mean saying "never had a barrow"? Can't guess the meaning in this context. My dictionary says it's a kind of trolley for shopping, isn't it?
    Well, I'll try to explain what I understand. Sure, I'm not a seller but I'll try :)
    As for me, I enjoy markets if they're good. In Zelenograd, for instance, there was quite a good market, the Krukovo market. I haven't been there for a long time as I moved, maybe now it's not that good anymore. But what I an see is that in such marketplaces you really understand what a market is and you learn rules of good marketing. You're right, they're all about the same but still different. Sellers are different, some are rude, some are polite and interested in having you as a client. Layout is more critical there than in shops because you pass a stall and if your eye catches nothing, you pass it by. So, those sellers who are interested in their clients are more concerned about layout, their approach and behaviour. As you have several stalls of almost the same things you can choose the best ones. You don't have this advantage with shops because you go shopping to the nearest place to you, it can be worse than others but you still go there because you don't want to look for another.
    So, I would say that markets are better for customers but they require the sellers be more involved. Of course, it's more difficult for them to sell, but who cares? :) It's their job. Why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyonka, a barrow, or cart, is a kind of тележка, often flat, that the seller puts his goods on to convey them from the "van" to his stall.

      Delete
  2. By the way, in case with food markets you can even taste what you'd like to buy. Normally, sellers are easy with that, if you taste it and you like it, you buy it. Extra advantage.

    ReplyDelete