link to Inter-Bridge.biz

My company teaches English face-to-face or over Skype.

Thursday 15 December 2011

38:Murphy's Law

Let me remind you about Murphy's Law (or it's slang equivalent - Sod's Law) which states that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Every morning in life I get up and turn on my mobile phone. This morning I didn't turn it on until I got to the place where my first lesson was due to take place. You can guess the rest, can't you! Yes, the student had sent me an SMS at 06.30 this morning asking to postpone the lesson until tomorrow! If I had said no I would have been paid for the lesson as a Late Cancellation. I am too soft by far and agreed to swap the lesson to tomorrow afternoon. No money, just a wasted journey. Such is life. такова жизнь.
I'm now in a "works canteen" at the site of my next lesson and about to order a big boy's breakfast. I am slowly becoming as fat as the figure shown in the photograph. It is one of a set of 13 figures in the powerful sculpture by Chemyakin called "Children are the victims of adult vices". This one represents alcohol!


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_are_the_Victims_of_Adult_Vices


2 comments:

  1. Да, эта скульптурная композиция М. М. Шемякина расположена в самом центре Москвы. Среди двенадцати пороков хочу остановиться сейчас лишь на одном, который очень даже по теме нашей общей беседы. Вы - самокритично - упомянули только толстяка с пороком АЛКОГОЛИЗМ. Что ж, сочувствую, это серьезный порок.

    Однако, есть там изображение такого порока, как НЕВЕЖЕСТВО. И на приведенной вами фотографии этот порок тоже прекрасно виден. Думаю, скульптура, его изображающая, не случайно попала к вам в объектив.

    Если заглянуть в толковый словарь, то:
    Невежество –
    1. Отсутствие знаний; необразованность.
    2. разг. Невоспитанность, невежливый поступок.

    Прошлый раз, видимо, время вами там было потрачено зря…

    Думаю, есть смысл вам вновь прогуляться к тому месту и получше разглядеть скульптурную композицию… родственное – оно ведь чувствуется… не станете ведь вы это отрицать...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Яркая иллюстрация вашего рассказа приведена здесь - 40:Overindulgence

    ReplyDelete